Birmingham DUI Defense Attorney
Powerful Defense Against DUI Charges
Being arrested for driving under the influence is no small matter. If you have recently undergone this horrible experience, the unfortunate truth is that you are in for a long and arduous journey that will result in extremely harsh consequences. In the state of Alabama, DUI charges are known for being treated with extra severity, and those who are convicted can face life-long hardships.
Not only are you likely to pay expensive fees and fines or spend a lengthy time being incarcerated, but you could have your license taken away, even if you had never committed an offence before. Having a stained criminal record will also constantly hinder your life for many years following your initial punishment. This is why it is imperative to get the legal aid of dependable DUI lawyers in Birmingham. With Burrell & McCants, LLC by your side, you can count on powerful advocacy.
Understanding DUI Penalties Enforced in Alabama
There is no exact guarantee that being convicted of a certain level of DUI offense will result in the appropriate penalty, which is why it so crucial to have a reliable lawyer. The exact punishment can vary, depending on the court’s evaluation of the events.
Some of the examples of usual ranges for DUI penalties include:
- Up to year of incarceration for first-time offenders, along with a fine ranging from $600 and $2,100 and a possible confiscation or suspension of your license for 90 days.
- Up to year of incarceration for second-time offenders, along with a fine ranging from $1,100 and $5,100 and a confiscation or suspension of your license for a full year.
- Up to year of incarceration for third-time offenders, along with a fine ranging from $2,100 and $10,000 and a confiscation or suspension of your license for up to three years.
- Up to 10 years of incarceration for fourth-time offenders, along with a fine ranging from $4,100 and $10,100 and a confiscation or suspension of your license for five years.
Elevation of DUI Felony
While being convicted of a DUI charge is bad enough, there are certain cases where you might even be charged with a DUI felony, which results in much harsher penalties. There are instances where you might be arrested on account of a felony charge, even if this is the first offense you ever committed. Such circumstances include where you were driving, such as in a school zone, or you who were driving with, such as a child or vulnerable person. If your license was already suspended, or you were speeding over the limit by 30 mph, or if your blood alcohol content was a least 0.16%, you could be facing a felony charge.
Field Sobriety Tests
If you are pulled over in Birmingham for a DUI, the officer is likely going to perform one of the three Standardized Field Sobriety Tests (SFST):
- Horizontal Gaze Nystagmus (HGN) test - In this test the officer will observe the eyes of the person as they slowly move a pen or small object back and forth to look for signs in their eyes that the person is under the influence.
- Walk-and-turn test - In this test, the officer instructs the person to take nine steps in a straight line and the return back. The officer is looking for signs that the person is impaired such as not being able to keep their balance or not following the instructions properly.
- One-leg stand test - In this test, the officer instructs the person to stand with one foot off the ground and hold it for about 30 seconds. The officer looks for signs of impairment such as swaying, hoping or using their arms to balance.
Avoiding the Drastic Consequences of DUI Charges
In addition to all the penalties you may face immediately after a DUI conviction, having a marked record has other lasting consequences. Your car insurance rates will skyrocket for years, if you still have a driving license. If your license is suspended, you may have trouble commuting to work and even earning enough to pay for your expensive court fees. Trust our team at Burrell & McCants, LLC to help you get out of this mess with our knowledge and wide-ranging experience.
I am glad they are representing me.- Cheryl
Got the charges dismissed, thanks for your help.- Darryl
Best lawyer ever.- Antoinette
Him and his staff had been amazing.- Candance
Very knowledgeable and you will be very happy.- Ashlie